Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Take a deep breath

Today I had been resigned to posting a "service has been suspended until further notice" message on this blog. But sometimes a nudge can come from the most unexpected places. So thank you to the person who told me today that they had visited my blog, your very simple statement has meant that I have found the motivation to return today and post.

First of all, I had promised to post the Blog Action day statistics. I think they speak for themselves and say that the day was a great success. Visit this link to find out more.

20,603 Blog Participated
23,327 Blog Posts (Google Blog Search)
14,631,038 RSS Readers

I had hoped to say more about the blog action day but it is a long time ago now, and in truth I felt my own entry was rather weak. But visit some of these sites for some some great posts and environmentally aware ideas.

Back to craft-like pursuits... I finally did it! I made all of our 100+ Christmas cards this year plus another 30 for little chap's school chums. There are a variety of techniques, some of them were very easy and repeatable (hence attaining the 100 target) and none of them were overly complicated (although the beaded fabric charms did take quite a while). Here is a picture of some of the cards as they came off the "drawing board".



Apart from that, we have had some fun home made moments. We nearly always do home made fancy dress costumes, and here is little chap as a pumpkin (again!) and loving it. Also a picture of our carved pumpkin - can you tell which is which?







We also lamented the lack of the annual community fireworks display by having a small box of fireworks in our back garden. No loud bangs and no craned necks. But no bumping into old friends either.




I am redecorating at home - teenage boy's bedroom now becomes sophis' guest room. I am 2/3 of the way through stripping the paper off the walls and ceiling. Little chap is always a willing helper.

I hope to have the rest of the paper stripped off this week, and then next week can sand down the skirting boards. I am dreaming of William Morris wallpaper.

I have Alice's children over for tea every couple of weeks, and we have a lot of fun. This week they excelled themselves... they had the play shop out (old packets, a basket, a till and some coins) and grabbed a carton each, filled it with some coins and ran round the house shaking it and calling out "charity... charity"!!! Is this a sign of the times? I love having a couple of hours to be close to them, and to maintain Aidan's friendship with them. They are special moments.

A couple of weeks ago, little chap and I went on a long bike ride down country lanes. On the way back he complained his hands were cold, so I am knitting him some mittens with the self patterning yarn I bought a few weeks ago. They were meant to be socks for me, but mittens sounded like fun and were a new challenge. Pictures next time.

Finally, I have to show you what a winter fruit and veg box looks like - amazing! A few too many parsnips for our family, but still a great selection and great quality. Well done raw'n'pure



I have yet to get my paints out, but am spending the next 2 Saturdays out and about at leisure at the Lutterworth embroiderers guild extravaganza and PTA London trip. Stories to follow.

5 comments:

Katie said...

nice to *see* you back! those holiday cards look AMAZING! wow! i can't imagine all the work that went into those, not to mention the creative juices it took to come up with the different styles. i'm thoroughly impressed.

Mac's niece said...

Hi Katie! The cards were fun, and you cannot imagine how pleased I am to have done so many this year.

I have been busy knitting too... as you will soon find out ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi mac's neice nice to see you to see you nice.
Glad that you are back.
Well done on all the lovely cards work you have done, your friends and family will be delighted.
May the decorating soon be complete.
With all the other work you have done your home will all look new.

Knittygoodness said...

Oh my he sure is a cutie! Thank you for the thanksgiving wishes...I'm glad you're sticking around, I'd miss 'reading' you if you closed down shop.

Monika

Dancin Fool said...

Hey! I just wanted to say that I did not think your Blog Action Day post was weak at all. I really enjoyed it. I thought one of the most interesting things about peoples posts that day was that they were all so different, just emphasising the variety of us all even though we were all thinking about a common issue.