Monday, September 25, 2006

Journal Cover


I am hoping to give mostly handmade/homemade presents for Christmas this year. One of the gifts I have thought of making is a journal with a hand stitched cover. Many people I know are creative and so I thought these would be good for their notes, ideas and inspirations.

I am trying to choose a colour scheme/textures/motifs to suit the individuals for whom they are destined. Here is number one.

I have to give credit to the Lutterworth Embroiderers' Guild for being my source for a fine array of threads and fabrics, most of which I buy at their annual extravaganza.

http://branches.embroiderersguild.com/branchdetails.php?id=LEIC30 . The next extravaganza is on Sat 11th November - it really is worth a visit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely idea - how did you attach all the embellishments?

Mac's niece said...

The block of vertical threads were laid onto the linen and then caught down with a picece of ribbon top and bottom. The curvy line was couched down using fine gold thread which gives a nice subtle sparkle. Where the curve crosses the vertical band the couching also further secured the block of threads to stop them sagging in the middle.

On the back is a band of satin edged with more couched threads, and also some randomly scattered sequins.

I am quite pleased with the overall effect, although the vertical blocks are a little crooked. Next time I will either line them up better or avoid vertical lines altogether! Also, when the cover was stitcjed tight around the notebook it pulled the design out of line a bit.

Dancin Fool said...

Hello! Your journal cover reminds me of a music score with a wild and beautiful tune flowing over it, not quite tied down. Thank you for your visit. It's great to be and up and running!