Monday, July 31, 2006

Dressed for bed!

The home makeover shows always make a big thing about dressing a bed, and it is true that when they have finished with their mountains of cushions and swathes of beautiful fabrics, the beds and bedrooms always look wonderful.

Well, here is my attempt at dressing the bed in our guest room. The oversized cushion is made from the detachable arm cushions from an old settee. The fabric was given to me by my Mum. I made an envelope type flap for the closure. This is secured by some large wooden beads (rescued from one of those bead car seats) and some nylon cord made into loops (yes I do find it difficult to throw things away as I always have a suspicion that they will come in handy one day!). It is really lovely to sit up in bed leaning against this big cushion while reading.

The tulips beside the bed are silk flowers again given to me by my Mum. Every couple of months I drop some essential oil (currently frescia) into the centre of each tulip, then when the sun hits them they release a lovely scent into the room.

I keep meaning to find a band of blue material (perhaps petersham band perhaps?) to sew onto the bed cover, but I have not got it together to that extent yet! Anyway, I was very pleased with this little sewing project for the home.

No comments: