Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Art class week 3

Today our challenge was to do a tonal drawing from a picture of our choosing. I chose a photograph of Lindisfarne.







I was pleased with the drawing. It is a complete scene, and some of the elements of depth and texture work. However, there are some bits I want to change and develop. I think the midground rocks are too dark, and similarly the right hand sections of wall are too dark. Also the path is a bit dodgy, but I am not sure what to do about that section.



As for other aspects of the class... I am a creature of habit, and tend to sit in the same place in a classroom each week. The benefit of this is you get to know more about the people who sit around you (albeit at the expense of not getting to know those on the other side of the classroom). Today I learned that the chap who sits next to me (the one with the injured thumb) had once thought of buying the small cottage next to our house, and the chap who sits next to him used to be the policeman in our town 25 years ago. This came about because I showed them a picture of our house. My long-term project is to produce a drawing or painting of the house by the end of the term. Anyway, on seeing it they both exclaimed "that's old Sutton's place". And they were right. Our house used to be a dairy that was and is still known throughout the town as "Suttons".

2 comments:

Dancin Fool said...

Hello! That's beautiful! I am loathed to mention a favourite bit as I have greatly enjoyed exploring the entire picture and I mean explore. It takes your eyes slowly around every aspect almost as if you were walking up the path and looking around yourself. But, my favourite bit is so amazing I am going to mention it anyway, it's the fence! xx

Mac's niece said...

Thankyou! I really enjoyed doing the picture, and now that I have stepped back from it, I think I can see some ways to improve it, so it may get posted again next week!