Sunday, April 08, 2007

Rally thrill - 99/100!!

Aside from craft pursuits this Easter, yesterday I had a very exciting time going rally driving (a "red letter" experience day treat that I received for my birthday). It was GREAT!!! The event was really close to us at Prestwold Hall. We drove a subaru road car for the familiarisation laps, and then a truly awesome Mitsubishi 4WD Evolution V for the real laps. I had the most fabulous time, and my instructor scored me 99/100 on my score card and wrote "brilliant drive - excellent control and good speed." I am obviously quite thrilled at that.


It was such a great treat... I'd go again right now! I was really nervous the night before, and during the lining up and checking in, but then when I met the other people in my little group, we all got on really well. Our instructor (John) was very patient and made it clear that what he really wanted was for us all to enjoy the experience. He gave us instruction before the driving, and during it, as he sat next to each of us and gave us a running commentary, encouragement and instructions.


Here's a picture of my driver assessment card of which I am very proud (my husband, who is a 'see-a-bubble-pop-it' kind of guy, said that of course they mark everyone high to keep them happy... but even so I am happy!!!!!!).



The bottom box was the first drive I did (after the familiarisation laps driven by the instructor). This was in a Subaru Impreza (hubby was jealous at this point!). You drive 4 laps of a 1 1/2 mile track which has 32 bends per lap including 2 great chicanes!!


For this session my instructor wrote " Good drive. Nice control. Work on Acceleration:Deceleration all round. 96/100".


Then I got to drive 4 laps in the Mitsubishi 4WD Evolution V (see picture!!!!).





For this session (middle box) my instructor wrote: "Brilliant Drive. Good speed and control, working in line all round with braking. Clean Run. Well Done. 99/100"


It was absolutely great!!!!!!!! For anyone who might fancy trying this now... here is the link.

1 comment:

Dancin Fool said...

Dear Sterling Mac/ A.K.A. The Stig

(I always thought his figure was far too shapely!)

That sounds awesome and it sounds like you took to it instinctively! I am very envious!

Well done and top posting! xxx