Sunday, April 01, 2007

A Tale of Two Kitties

There once was foolish blogger who decided she wanted to join in the amigurami craze, but not being skilled in crochet, she decided to try to knit one. Just Jussie came to the rescue with a pattern for knitted fortune cats.


I looked at this pattern, and was glad to embrace some techniques that I hadn't tried before, and also determined to adapt the pattern to cope with my lack of dpns or circular needles.


So I knitted it flat and decided I did not mind having a seam up the back. I managed to put the stitch markers in for the arms and legs using waste yarn. I managed to pick up stitches from the cast on edge (as I did not have a crochet hook to do the provisional cast on), and battled valiantly to find them in the fuzzy wool I foolishly had chosen. I realised I had put the ears in the wrong place (through knitting the head as a flat piece rather than in the round), and figured a way that I would put a dart into the head to bring them into position. Then I borrowed some dpns, and picked up the stitches for the arms, but then it all just got too hard. Knitting so few stitches in the round on 3 needles just was not working for me (perhaps I should have done them more like an I cord?). It was all turning into too much of a struggle and the sparkle was wearing off the idea. So I just gave up. I wish I could say I had frogged it, but no, the whole thing just went in the bin.

However, I am pleased to have grappled with some issues, and "thought out of the box" at least a little bit.

I've never been much of a fan of knitted toys, but the amigurami cats were very cute. I don't think I'll try the fortune cats again, but since then, I have also found the pattern for a knitted "hello kitty" by Valerie.



So I might be brave enough to dip my toe back into the water.

1 comment:

Dancin Fool said...

Hello! I am your 999 visitor, weren't you my 666 visitor? Very odd!

Can I have one? They are gorgeous. Sorry to hear it didn't work out at first. xx