Friday, June 15, 2007

Catch up

Sometimes you just have to wait until the time feels right to do something... and that has been the case with blogging, knitting and painting the last couple of weeks. However, last night I got the needles going again...


I have finished the socks (yes both of them!). I won't post a picture as there have been many pics of yarn and progress in recent posts.


I have also wound the Noro yarn I bought with the gift voucher from my secret pal, and have started knitting with it... it is a beautiful mix of colours, and works up nicely in this broken rib pattern. I can't say what I am making as it is going to be a gift for someone.




I frogged the black felted bag I was making. I ran out of wool for the pattern I was working to (which was going to have an eyelet design along the top threaded with sari ribbon), and am now going to do something smaller, and perhaps beaded. (I have a lovely stash of assorted beads, and have to confess that I have just ordered a whole pile more from Jilly Beads). I have also been making various brooches and charms... many of which are destined to find their way into Christmas presents (yes, I said the "C" word, but sorry, I am notoriously early in planning!). It is not too clear in the picture, but the bottom one is a beautiful set of tiny Russian Doll beads.




I have made a rosette from the sari ribbon, which I intend to embellish with some beads, and actually, I really like it made into these small items, so I might well make some more for brooches and pins).




I have also been butchering my wardrobe, and cut up a dress bought years ago to make a nice summer skirt. I loved the fabric but the shape of the dress was rather unflattering. Actually, I have just noticed that the fabric is very similar to the wallpaper we have recently put up in our hall, so I had better not stand around in our hallway too much when wearing this skirt!. I just cut it shorter, elasticated the waist (nothing fancy), and think it will look nice worn with a wide belt. I have kept the top part of the dress as well, and think I might just about manage to turn it into a top to wear with jeans. (So thrifty!)




I also drastically shortened a long line tweedy skirt that my husband finally admitted he hated. I zigzagged the bottom and was going to turn a hem, but I noticed the zigzag has made the hem nicely fluted. So I am going to keep it with this rather raw finish. I made a contrast tweed flower to put on it, and reckon it might just see me through this summer.




This wardrobe refashioning has been inspired by the fact that I have managed to lose a bit of weight over the past couple of weeks. I have set myself a target to regain my ideal weight (according to the WHO BMI) before my 40th birthday, it's a bigger target than I have wanted to admit.

4 comments:

Dancin Fool said...

Wow you have been very busy. You've been missed but I love reading your posts when you've been up to lots.

It's nice to post but nicer to have time to do things you really want to then post about them!

I love the Russian Doll beads. And I see all has been revealed in the secret pal saga. Do you think you would do it again and is there another one running? It seemed to go brilliantly for all involved.

Dancin Fool said...

P.S. I remember the dress and loved it. I am glad it will be making another appearance now transformed.

Knittygoodness said...

Missed reading you.....but just like danci'fool said....it's nice to read when you have so much fun stuff going on...

Monika (aka...your secret pal)

expect something in the mail (I think it might have shipped today!!)

Mac's niece said...

Hello Monika! So good to finally know who you are - you have been such a great pal over recent months: sending wonderful packages, and also sharing news of you and your family.

Thankyou!