Friday, June 22, 2007

More textiles




I promised more textiles for you to feast your eyes on. Well here are two of my favourite pieces from the recent LUSAD exhibition I went to this week. Actually, one is textile, and the other isn't but they are both beautiful, and to me have great similarities. The colours, shapes and textures are just wonderful.

I have been collecting gold and green threads and fabrics for ages now, intent on doing a mixed media Klimt inspired embroidery. This might be just the push I need to get started. One thing I learned from the students' technique books is the value of swatching!!! Testing the individual elements, and the individual techniques in small samples, and then combining and recombining them to learn what really works. It sounds so obvious, but let's face it, when you find a few moments to indulge in crafty pursuits, it can be all to tempting to dive in rather than take a structured and academic approach to creating. I have seen a lot about "inchies" on sites like Dot Frankston's maybe that might be a good way in.

Anyway - the credits for the pictures shown above are:
(top) Mixed media textile by Stephanie Nixon
(bottom) Fictional Artefact in silicone, oxidised stainless steel and guilding metal by Nicola Stock


1 comment:

The Spicers said...

Very beautiful!