Monday, October 01, 2007

Shamed into action

Today I went to see Alice's Mum to say hello and see how she was. We had a lovely chat. She said that at all sorts of unexpected moments things happen, or occur to her, or are said that evoke sadness, but it is clear that she is forging on with life in a most admirable way. She asked me what craft things I was up to, and I was ashamed to have to say that I had not been doing any. Overall, I have had very little inclination to do any of my art or craft pursuits. I suppose this is not entirely the case... there have been some small dabblings, and also we have had a very busy time socially, visiting or having people to stay here. Anyway, this post is an attempt to follow the admirable example of people around me and get back into gear.


Some tome ago I tried my hand at a bit of machine embroidery. I trapped various threads between layers of light chiffon materials. I was not too pleased with the effect, and received advice to keep stitching and building up the layers and textures. However, I also came across an article in "Fibre and Stitch" magazine about making fabric charms, and so I have been reducing the piece into small squares with close zig-zagged edges. This has much improved the effect, and I am looking forward to continuing with other sections of the larger piece which have denser collections of fibres. My guess is these will make their way onto Christmas cards.


I have also been working with some hand dyed silk boucle from The Yarn Gallery, and using a multi-wrap stitch to make a textured scarf. I am pleased with the results so far, although have found to my great cost how easily silk yarn slips off the needles!


We have a new wool shop in our area (The Wool Cabin), and I had an interesting time there last week browsing. The shop is slightly old fashioned in that its main focus is the traditional brands (e.g. Sirdar, Wendy, Patons) and the proprietress is rather dismissive of the luxury brands (e.g. Rowan, Debbie Bliss, Louisa Harding) or the novelty yarns (e.g. Lanartus, Adriafil). However, I bought some self-patterning sock yarn, and also some lovely hand made beads.


I've still not picked up my paints, but there is always next week. Here is a picture of the various bits and pieces... We got a new scanner recently, and it is not as easy to use as the last one, so apologies for the faded edges.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your machine embroidery, have you used desolving thread as a background on any of this type of work?