Thursday, December 07, 2006

Christmas Traditions


The good kharma bunny recently asked about people's Christmas Traditions. It seemed like a good thing to muse upon for a few minutes.

As kids we were allowed to have chocolate digestives for breakfast on Christmas day, and a glass of "Rise and Shine" (do you remember that powdered orange juice drink...).

The traditions we have now for my family are to go to church on Christmas Eve for the Christingle service. However, disappointingly, this year the service is set for Dec 10th (too early for me!!! but we will still go).

Also, to chase out in the garden looking for a glimpse of santa leaving his last parcel of Christmas morning before he goes off for some sleep. Last year my husband excelled himself by leaving a lump of horse manure and half a carrot on our flat roof, and taking my little boy up a ladder to see the evidence that Rudolph had been by!!!!

Also having the only little boy on the planet who adores brussel sprouts makes our food traditions very interesting! I try to make our focus exciting vegetable dishes... and we always have something unusual like guinea fowl rather than turkey.

We have yet to manage the local tradition of pork pie for Christmas breakfast!

3 comments:

Dancin Fool said...

Rise and Shine! I had forgotten what it was called but I can remember the taste straight away!

So, where did he get the manure from? I think that is a really lovely tradition to have!

Mac's niece said...

Dear Dancing Fool,

My other half has been known to stop the car and shovel up horse manure from the road (all for the sake of the roses, he insists!).

However, the last lot was of the well rotted variety and bought from a local smallholder, who obligingly sells bags of it from the roadside by means of an honesty box. Isn't it lovely that such things still exist.

Dancin Fool said...

Hello, an additional late message to this post. I know I am a little biased, but that really is the face of an angel. x