Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Everything stops for tea

... and the odd piece of freelance work. Last week flew by in a whirl as I was working on a user interface design project for an educational company I do work for every now and then. The project was to design a website that teachers could use to analyse and report on the results of class tests that they had set. It's a lot more interesting than it sounds, honestly... I really enjoyed the week, However, it meant there was little time for anything else, least of all blogging.


However, looking back on it, there has been a lot happening... and there is plenty to tell.


I'll start off by mentioning the trip on the local heritage steam railway that my extended family took the weekend before last. It was a great day to commemorate my Mum and Dad's Ruby wedding anniversary. 7 of us made the trip and then went for a leisurely meal. I could describe it in detail, but this has been done very well already by bowledover, with a beautiful picture supplied by dancinfool.


I have finished knitting (but not blocking or sewing up) the shrug from the Ironstone wool my secret pal sent me (thank you again secret pal). I have promised myself to finish it completely this weekend, but here is a sneak view of the colours.... lovely.



I also assembled and posted my second parcel to my secret pal, which includes some lovely artisan spun and dyed wool and silk blend yarn with enticing names. I hope she likes it. I can't show pictures of that yet... but would love to.


In the evenings, I have been avidly reading Alan Alda's autobiography which my sister kindly send me as a surprise last month.




It's very entertaining, and reminds me fondly of the days when I loved to watch MASH, treating every line as deep insight into life, and hero worshipping the character Hawkeye Pierce. So, if you're looking, sis, this is for you:



...and this is for me ;-)




My little chap has made a new friend at school. The new friend (Harry) is round here tonight for tea, and the boys are playing happily with many giggles. Rather endearingly, they are taking it turns to pretend to be a dog in a pet shop, who the other comes and buys! Even sweeter, they were both caught calling me "Mrs. Mummy"!! It was Harry's birthday at the weekend, and he had a great 5 year olds' party including soft play area and face painting. Here's my little chap doing a great Tiger.



As if that weren't all, we are still decorating our hallway and stairs. The patterned wall paper is going up on the contrast walls. So 2 days this week have been dedicated to papering. Here's the paper. I love it. Bold yet simple and (hopefully) elegant. It makes the hall look so much wider and brighter (the main walls are plain cream).


Finally, everyone has a favourite portent of Spring, and mine is newly opened beech leaves. I love the fact that the tree keeps all its dead leaves all winter, and the one day they all drop off overnight, and the next day the beech buds are unfurling, all tender, furry and such a beautiful colour.


1 comment:

Dancin Fool said...

Radar! and Hotlips Hoolahan! What a woman!

What a brilliant posting! You've done loads!

I am so glad you are enjoying the book so much; you also write very well.

Saving all other comments for a good chat. Thank you for the picture. xxx