Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Art class week 7

The challenge today was to paint a picture in water colour from a picture or photograph of our choice.

Mine is of an Australian outback farm building.


I really enjoyed doing this picture, and I learned a lot about mark making in the foreground, mid-ground and background.

In my art class, I am sitting next to a young Muslim girl. She is very interested in drawing objects from her culture, and today she brought in an ornate brass coffee pot to do a painting of. It was lovely, she got the shape beautifully.

There is also an interesting fellow who sits the other side of the class from me. He looks like John Prescott, and is quite gruff. He likes to do Turner style pictures, and boasted that he took the same approach to painting with watercolour as he does to emulsioning. He is odd, because he pretends to be a beginner and declare that everything is too technical and too complicated for him, and yet he gives away, through his comments, the fact that he knows a lot about painting and art.

Anyway, a most enjoyable session today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We award an 8 for your artwork with special commendation for the foreground grass, trees and of course your sky.

The barn is a little too continental for my taste.

Dancin Fool said...

Further to our conversation I will have to make it five favourite items: the roof, the forefront cloud, the grass, the trees and the fence. I definitely did not pay enough attention to the fence first of all, my eyes are drawn straight to the two trees next to the building; they are beautiful.

Really interesting choice of picture. xx