Thursday, March 22, 2007

SP10 questionnaire recap

I realised last night, that my SP10 questionnaire was buried way back in mid February, so now that SP10 has officially kicked off, I thought I would recap on the questionnaire...

1. What is/are your favorite yarns? - I like both fine and chunky yarns, and these can be natural or synthetic... but what I like best are yarns with different colours in them, as I love seeing the way the colours mix and build up when the yarn is worked.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? - I keep my needles in two earthenware jugs, one that I brought back from Portugal in 1986, and one that I received from an Irish relative as a wedding gift in 2000. I also use earthenware jugs to keep my paintbrushes in and also my button collection.

3. How long have you been knitting? - I have been knitting since 1979 when our school got everyone to knit squares to sew into blankets and send to Africa as part of Action Aid. I am probably still classed as a beginner... I do small, simple or quick projects, and don't do many fancy stitches.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? No.

5. What's your favorite scent? - Lavendar, lemon and nutmeg.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? I don't have a very sweet tooth, although I like milk chocolate but don't tend to eat much of it.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? I sew, draw and paint (watercolours). I like trying new things, and am a dabbler. I have recently bought some disolvable fabric and am enjoying playing around with it.

8. What kind of music do you like? - I like jazz and blues and folk. Also David Bowie, Simply Red, The Scissor Sisters, Chrissie Hynde, Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen. I like South American music. I love the sound of the clarinet and trumpet.

9. What's your favorite color(s)?I like purple, orange, green and gold. I like strong colours mixed in unusual ways.

10. What is your family situation? I am married with a 5 year old son and a 16 year old step son. We have no pets.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? - Yes! Especially hats and scarves. I have a woolen cape, but have never had a poncho.

12. What are your favorite items to knit? I like to knit small pieces that I then sew, embellish, cut up or otherwise work into other objects. Last year I knitted 17 hats as gifts for various people! In the last year I have also knitted bags, purses and journal covers.

13. What are you knitting right now? - A hat made from recycled sari silk, I am also using some fibres spun by a friend of mine to make lampshade. (late addition - I am now knitting a mohair/silk blend shawl.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? I love to give and receive handmade gifts. The love and care that they embody makes them all the more special.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? - I tend to use aluminium needs, but only because that is what I have. I have never used circular needles, although I once knitted a pair of socks on four double ended needles.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? No.

17. How old is your oldest UFO? I am ashamed to say it is 21 years old - it is a half made cross stitched tea cosy in the shape of a cottage. I don't think it is ever going to be finished. Apart from that I tend to finish items within a couple of weeks of starting them.

18. What is your favorite holiday? May bank holiday - the weather is nice, and it is the start of the season of garden fetes and country fairs which I really enjoy visiting.

19. Is there anything that you collect? Soda syphons, wooden fruit and ceramics decorated with fish motifs.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I'm working my way through my mother's old set of "Golden Hands" - a craft series from the 70s, so I have not been looking at books and subscriptions recently.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Felting, shibori stitching, machine embroidery.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I have only once knitted a pair of socks - I was 14 years old at the time and the socks were fluorescent green! I take a UK size 5 shoe.

23. When is your birthday? 11th January.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is quite interesting to read..thanks for posting this...and well i'd also like you to drop by my blog on Birthday Wishes sometime and check out some amazing goodies that i've posted there!!!

Dancin Fool said...

Hello! This is a plea to participate in the compilation of a list of bloggers favourite books.

My most recent posting, ‘Calling All Bloggers’ posted Sunday 25th March 2007, has all of the relevant details and links for you to post your list.

I have chosen you as you are either known to me or I visit your blog regularly and I would be very grateful if you took part but please don’t feel obligated.

Many thanks in advance. (A list of your 10 favourite books needs to be submitted before 25th April 2007.)

(Hello! I have gone blogging mad again!) xxx

Dancin Fool said...

Pants! Thankfully I visited you first, the lists need to be submitted before 15th April, not the 25th. Sorry for the error on your blog! xx