Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Half balls and scraps

My knitting needles have been busy this weekend. I have been trying some more of the patterns from "one skein wonder" which is proving to be a great way for me to try out new stitches and techniques.


I tried the tamashanta pattern this weekend. Something went a bit wrong though, as it is not wide enough in the main part of the hat, and not flat enough on top. My little boy likes it though, and has claimed it for himself. Athough I was disappointed overall, I was very pleased with my seed stitch, and the very neat way of decreasing at the top of the hat. I had also adapted the pattern to knit on 2 straight needles instead of a circular needle, so maybe that had something to do with it.





More successful were some knitted flowers which I intend to sew brooch backs onto and use to liven up my spring jackets (yes spring is here now!!). This involves a very strange twisting action which twists the entire piece of work around the needle, and then catches it in place with the next stitch.

5 comments:

Dancin Fool said...

I am not qualified to comment on your stitching however I think the hat is lovely. The knitted flower is beautiful; it reminds me of a new born chick, lots of fluffy feathers developing at different rates. They will make lovely brooches.

I keep seeing wool that I think you would love, it's a bit like the soft toy syndrome with a certain young man I am having trouble stopping myself buying them!

Mac's niece said...

Thank you! I like the analogy of the new chick - reminds me of the baby blackbirds from last year. It also gives me an idea for trying to make some fluffy easter chicks!

Anyway... in the spirit of the original log of caged minutes, it should be recorded that each brooch takes about an hour to do. Do you think I might pursuade you to try one out? Let me know your preferred colours and I'll try to do one for you.

Dancin Fool said...

I would love one! Thank you. I would have to say red, orange and brown.

Good Kharma Bunny said...

wow, awesome hat!!! love the fluffy brooch, I'd like mine in blues and pinks please, I bet you can do it quicker by the 10th!!!
hi dancin fool!
al x

Mac's niece said...

10th of March or 10th brooch?!?!?