Thursday, March 01, 2007

Homework - trees of green

This week I have managed to do a piece of homework for my art class. I wanted to use the colour theory we learned a week ago to produce a range of shades of green that could be used to convey distance. The brighter, purer greens being foreground colours, and muted ("greyer") greens in the distance.


Our art teacher insists that we use a palette of only 6 colours (2 yellow, 2 blues and 2 reds) and mix all our shades from first principles. That way we understand what we are doing with colour.


My attempt below is a little confused, but the basic elements are there. Disastrously, I changed tack part way through, and so some of the colour ranges I had established became wrong in relation to the other items I was putting into the picture. So, for example, although the foreground trees have good foreground colours, the greens immediately around them are more mid-ground, and some of the mid ground colours come too far forwards. I also struggle with changing the brush strokes I use to help to convey distance. I need to work on a range of different brush marks.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The London Judges award you an 8.5 for the trees. We both found it very pleasant on the eye. And I especially like the colour combination.
What size is it?

Mac's niece said...

Thankyou! Best score yet!

It is a little larger than A4 size.